If you're an early bird, like me, the darkness has not crept into the mornings gradually, but seems to have blanketed the world suddenly. A few weeks ago the sky was light at 5:00, and now it's dark, without even a hint of sunrise.
H said something about the head lamps. I pretended not to hear. A ponytail is about as much restriction as I like on my head when I'm running, and I know those goofy head bands will soon be necessary, tightened down so the light on the front doesn't bounce so much on the downhills.
Headlamps and reflectors...see and be seen. Visibility is safety for runners on the road and yet, those very precautions squeeze my head and my sense of freedom. I love the summer mornings for so many reasons, not the least of which is the lack of pant-legs and sleeves. August runs are a gift, at around 60 degrees, with sunrise literally around the corner as I start up the hill from the peacock's tree-covered lane. I know I'll have to succumb eventually, but for now, my only lamp is the circle of God's light around me, my only visibility the reflection of His glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment