Two down, two to go. H and I are down to two children around home anymore. And even those two aren't going to be here much. Between Hannah's dance classes and Jess's jazz band and job, it will be just he and me a lot of the time.
Well, just H and me and... just the Savior, just the only Wise God, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, just the great I AM, the Wonderful Counselor, the Lion of Judah, the Bright and Morning Star, the One who sits on the throne forever and ever, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, the Commander of the army of the Lord, (as he calls himself to Joshua in Joshua 5:14), the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end...just H and me and the Way, the Truth, and the Life!
How joyful and difficult to raise kids. I always said I was working myself out of a job, and now it's happening. I'm so grateful to send them off with the same Wonderful Counselor in them that is in me.
There is a small part of longing for them, but not of wanting things to stand still or to stay the same. We raised them to grow, to fly. It seems I've spent my life saying, "Go! Do! Be!" And now they are. And now I must also...grow and fly, go, do and be. I'm running and praying, and still saying it to the other two.
"Have you been in the Word this morning? Read it first..." which takes discipline for this family of readers, including myself.
They are trying their wings, two of them have taken the leap, without even much of a push, and my job is changing.
And I looked at H the other day and said, "I hope we still like each other!" We do, most days, by God's grace alone.
And gratefully, it's not just the two of us. With daily asking, with seeking Him first, with prayerful knocking, our hearts and homes are still full. More than full. We're so glad for the two still here at home...at least they sleep here! And by God's grace, we'll always be living the fullest of lives, on God's adventure, changed and being changed, growing in joy and beauty because He is Immanuel, God with us.
A lot of my job is prayer now. That I would remain in Christ, more today than yesterday. That I would not get in His way. And that my children would follow hard after Him, finding Him to be their own Way, Truth and Life. That H and I would be together in this new thing, running and praying and still liking each other, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment