When our four were small,(we called them The Smalls) I often reminded myself and sometimes others that kids spell love T-I-M-E.
You can't just tell little people that you love them, you have to show them by spending, giving time to them. They don't get that you'd give your right arm for them, or take a bullet if you're never THERE. Like really there...both eyes on them, listening to them, responding to their questions with real, appropriate answers.
A hug a day doesn't do it for The Smalls. They are selfish and demanding little bodies, and kind words don't suffice, either. Not unless these good things are accompanied by quantities of time that are not usually convenient or easily scheduled.
Smalls, much more freshly planted in this world than we adults, are uncannily perceptive. They pretty much know when they don't have your full attention, and if you've been around a 1-year-old for any length of time, you've probably had your face cupped in dimpled fingers and pulled around to look into his or her face. When that fails, there's always noise...and lots of it. Children have a way of getting our eyes and our focus, when we're less than attentive.
As I decided, with the gentle reminder of a godly friend, to get back into the habit of praying first in the day...not opening my email until I'd been in the Word, T-I-M-E came to mind. The Smalls spelled love T-I-M-E, but Someone else does, too.
God spells love the same way His little people do, and the same way I need to. My time belongs to Him, and He cares how I spend it. He wants quality and quantity from me. And I truly believe that when I am faithful first, with both eyes on Him, fully focused and attentive, that's when I am loving Him above all, and that's when He's making me able to love others as He does.
I so want to become a better time-manager. 44 years behind me, and probably not as many ahead, I can't afford to waste time on this planet. I don't want to be "ineffective and unproductive," and 2 Peter 1:5-7 tells me what to do instead.
As I hit the road this morning, a white-orange, almost-full moon was setting in the west, even as the sky was paling over the mountains to the east. Shoes tied, energized with a spot of coffee, I shut the door quietly, buckling on my watch, and headed up the street. I hadn't been to email, or to facebook, but only to God's wonderful, living word. We'd already spoken, and inviting Him along, I picked up the pace and rounded the corner. He loves me, and is intensely interested in how I spend my time. The children are growing up and walking away. Their definition of love is still pretty much the same, though. To them, and to my King, love is T-I-M-E, and I am hoping and praying I'll not neglect that.
"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Peter 1:5-7
No comments:
Post a Comment